Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 112 - Hot deals, Hotwire

We are heading to the Windy City in a couple weeks. YAY! 

My Woman and I are planners. We like to plan well in advance. Not only so can we figure out our budget, but it allows us to keep a countdown of the next time we get to see one another. Our hotel, the Comfort Suites, was booked way in advance, but a couple weeks ago we ran into a snafu with the rates. They increased our rates because we added one night. The nerve! I was hot...still am. We decided to look at other hotels.

My Woman has been talking up priceline and hotwire for some time. She kept telling me we should check it out and that we would end up with a much lower rate at a better hotel. These sites give you the price per night and certain details (amenities, general vicinity, Trip Advisor ratings), but you do not know where you are going to stay until you book the hotel. I was hesitant. The Type A/planner in me was telling me that it was better to book directly through a hotel. It's the safe route. Well, all of that went out the window when My Woman scored the Embassy Suites for $89/night! With the help of http://betterbidding.com/ she was able to determine where the hotel would be before booking! She used the same boards to help me score rooms at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers for $122/night (typically $300/night)...and to think that we were going to pay $250/night for the Comfort Suites! We are getting a sweet deal and I cannot imagine ever paying full price for a hotel again! Still sound risky? The rates are guaranteed. You receive a confirmation number from the hotel and hotwire. If you're a Clark Howard fan (ahem...mom and michi) this is the only way he books his hotel stays and highly recommends these sites. A HUGE thank you to My Woman for helping us see the light!!! 
I am so excited that I had to blog about it and take a picture of my receipt...

No comments:

Post a Comment